Naturalization is the legal process by which a foreign or national citizen can become a US citizen. To be able to naturalize, the applicant must first meet the requirements to apply for citizenship, if he has been a permanent resident for five continuous years or qualifying to obtain it in 3 years if he has been married to a citizen.
Requirements to apply for citizenship:
• Be 21 years old.
• Be a Permanent Resident and have lived continuously in the United States for 5 years
You will have to prove to have lived continuously for 3 years if you are married to an American Citizen.
• Have lived in the same state or district with jurisdiction of the place of residence for at least 3 months before applying to obtain citizenship.
• Good Moral Behavior.
• Have declared taxes for the last 5 years.
• Pass a History and United States government system exam.
• Be able to read, write, speak and understand words commonly used in English.
• Know the principles of the Constitution of the United States, respect the Law
• Not have been convicted of crimes or serious crimes.
The naturalization request is made through Form N-400. These legal requirements make it easier for the immigration service to ensure that only those people whose desire to become US citizens are sincere are naturalized.
At the Law Office of Katherine Canto we can assist you in the representation and application of citizenship and naturalization. For more information or to request an appointment please call us at 667-308-2264 or 443-845-9879
Becoming a Citizen will give you benefits such as:
• Be able to vote in the Elections of public offices and be able to be elected to a public office.
• Have a US passport and be able to travel outside the country.
• Access to greater benefits of public assistance.
• Be able to work in state and federal entities
• Help family members to immigrate to the United States. Children under 18 automatically obtain citizenship from their parents.
• Financial Aid to Study.
At the Law Office of Katherine Canto we can assist you in the representation and application of American Citizenship for you and your family. For more information or to request an appointment please call us at 667-308-2264 or 443-845-9879.